From the beginning of the parish, it was the vision of Fr. Carey, Holy Family’s Pastor, to have a Catholic elementary school for the parish. Holy Family School opened in September of 1953, serving students from Grades 1-5. The school was the outgrowth of the Parish Religious Education Program.
The Sisters of St. Joseph made up the entire first faculty of the school. Eventually the school accommodated Grades 1-8; the Class of 1957 was the first graduating class.
In September of 2015, Holy Family School became Holy Family Catholic Academy as part of Bishop DiMarzio’s Preserving the Vision Strategic Plan for the Diocese of Brooklyn’s Catholic Schools. The Academy serves students from PK to 8th Grade. While the faculty and staff is completely comprised of lay people, we are happy to continue the excellent academic and spiritual traditions begun by the Sisters of St. Joseph over 60 years ago.